Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Miracle Boy



No one can believe how well he's doing. He was close to death when he was found, and now there's nothing wrong with him except a few chronic conditions that are more annoying than anything else. People tell me what a great job I've done - and it's true - I've taken exquisite care of him, spent lots of money and time on him, and loved him back to health.

But it was Ashley who did the hard work. The work to stay alive and keep going while he was a stray - lost, alone, and profoundly neglected. The work of being picked up and taken to the pound - wondering what will happen next. The work of being transported from Ashland, VA to the vet in Annapolis. The work to heal, go in and out of anesthesia, take endless numbers of meds, and live in a cage for a month. The work of learning a new home and family and all the new sounds, smells and routines. The work of learning to be loved. Of healing.

This was Ashley's journey. The woman who boards and grooms both Arno and Ashley is a Westie lover and breeder (this is where I got Arno because I couldn't adopt a rescue at the time - more about that later). She says that Ashley is a miracle and he's alive because he's so determined. My vet says it's a miracle. My neighbors say he's a miracle. One thought he was so bad that I should put him down. She marvels at him everytime she sees him.

My heart fills with love when I watch him asking for food, go to the door wanting to go outside, when he tries to get away from me when he sees me with the ear cleaner, and when he trys to connect with Arno.

To be part of his life and journey is a gift, honor, and blessing. What great good luck.

No comments: