Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Recovery

How long can this take??? He's SO much better than he used to be, but still, he's slow, paces and wanders, doesn't know what to do with himself when he's not asleep, and still sleeps almost all the time. He is beginning to connect to me, like when he comes looking for me for attention and affection - especially first thing in the morning. It's so sweet it sometimes brings tears to my eyes.

Here he is with Arno begging for food, as they always do. Why? Because I've fed them from the sofa, of course! My own fault - but I love having them look up at me like this.

How could I have ever known how much I'd love this little guy. The connection took a while, but it can't be denied. He's SUCH a sweetheart.

His recovery. It's slow, but it's happening. Sort of like my own recovery. I'm learning what is deep down in the core of my ego, and why being alone hurts so much. The recovery is slow, but it's happening. I still get impatient, but less so, with myself and Ashley. Time heals, but not without help and understanding. Ashley now understands that I'm his mom and that I love him. I now understand that I'm going to come out of this, whole. Yes, recovery is a journey (such a trite phrase - but so very true), and it takes as long as it takes. Ashley has me, and I have me. Sweet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just finished reading your post and wanted to say thanks for sharing. The pictures you have of your dogs are just gorgeous.

My dog is also a Westie (called Mitzi). She too has her own site called http://www.mitzidog.co.uk